Sunday, January 09, 2005

Afghan-a-thon

Knitting is quickly becoming an all-consuming passion for me. In the past two months, I’ve completed two scarves and a hat. Today, I started work on a project that will require a major time commitment--an afghan.

B calculates that I will finish this afghan in the year 2027. His estimate is based on the fact that his mom started crocheting a baby afghan for a cousin of his a few weeks after she (the cousin) was born; the girl received the afghan as a wedding present some 22 years later.

It’s true that I have a somewhat spotty track record when it comes to follow-through with creative projects. But I feel certain I will complete this afghan, and it is not going to take me 22 years.

Unlike B’s mom, I do not have two pugilistic sons and a Homer Simpson-like husband to distract me from my knitting. In fact, B, the most pugilistic of those sons (now reformed), is actually helping see to it that I stay motivated to knit. B recently bought me an MP3 player and has been downloading all sorts of interesting stuff from the BBC and NPR and has laid in a supply of audiobooks for me to listen to while I knit. Also, I have friends/fellow addicts who are always suggesting that we meet up at a bar or cafe to knit and hang out. So basically it’s possible to let knitting parasitically attach itself to free-time activities (reading, socializing) I would be doing anyway. (If I can figure out a way to knit while hiking or--better yet--knit while working I'll really be set.)

The final and perhaps most important thing that will keep my shoulder to the wheel with this afghan is that it is going to solve an interior decorating problem that has been gnawing at me ever since B and I moved in together (10 years ago). When complete, the afghan will be draped over B’s hideous chair. I (and all those who enter here) won’t ever have to look at that not-quite-white leather upholstery again, which will make me very, very happy. And B can still sit in the chair whenever he wants. Win-win. A shout out to Sharon, by the way, for suggesting this brilliant solution a few months ago.

Yep. I’m going to finish it, and I’m going to finish it in 2005. It is already 3/182ths complete!

11 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Bravo! Now maybe, when I move out there, you can help me stick to MY knitting!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Jillyvanilli said...

I want to see the sparks flying from those needles lady!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

I also have ambitious plans for an afghan - you are an inspiration! You have the right attitude, too - knitting doesn't impede most of your current activities (I even get antsy/anxious now if I try to watch TV without something to knit). Please keep us posted on your progress!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Jamie,

Definitely! It is so much more fun to knit with friends. I have to admit that progress is a bit slower, since time has to be taken out to sip beer or latte or eat pie, but it's a small price to pay.

Jilly,

I'm still working up to spark-flying speed! It would help greatly if I could become a faster knitter.

Cagey,

Finally, another afghan convert! All my friends seem stuck in scarf and dog sweater mode. You should definitely make one! I will post my progress (and photos) from time to time.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

I am stuck in scarf and hat mode - too easy and too fun to whip them out quickly. Instant gratification! What sort of afghan are you knitting? I was thinking of doing one where I knit all sorts of swatches (to experiment with different stitchings) and then sew them together - like a patchwork quilt. I may do a baby afghan first for a cousin's baby coming in May. Of course, I have to fit this into my schedule of classes for a sweater, slippers, and purse - coming soon in February. LOL

1:38 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Cagey,

The instant-gratification factor is the main reason my friends don't want to do afghans. Believe me, I understand that! I'd love to do a sweater, but I'm afraid I'd put all that work into it and it would look like I made it--if you know what I mean. LOL

I love your idea of patchwork quilt style afghan with a different stitch style for every square! It will look great and will be a great learning experience.

I considered making an afghan like that, but I thought I'd get really bogged down--I'm just not good at figuring out new stuff and based on past experience I know I'd get really frustrated. Plus, I'm sort of going for color rather than texture w. this afghan. I'm trying to duplicate the colors in an afghan we had when I was a kid that was made by my great-grandmother.

My afghan is going to be patchwork style, but all the squares will be garter stitch. So it should be pretty easy. It's just going to take a while to knit 182 squares (just typing that number is daunting).

1:59 PM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Maybe you can do my idea for your SECOND afghan. hee, hee. We must all have goals, right? Can't wait to see pictures. No pressure, of course.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Way to go!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

May have to find a crochet project if I don't get back to writing. You give me hope.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Cagey,

Deal. I'll probably never want to another row of garter stitch after I finish this thing.

Sharon,

You can crochet? I'm envious. I learned once when I was in 7th grade but I don't remember a thing, and whenever I look at a crocheting book, it looks just impossible to figure out.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Yes, you will probably be sick of the garter stitch afterwards, but you will take a break, do something complicated and then realize you miss the sheer simplicity of that stupid garter stitch (at a minimum, it is great for TV watching. ;-)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Cagey,

You know, I still haven't tried to watch TV and knit. I think it would be very helpful if I mastered that skill (given that I have 182 squares to knit), although I'm sure Rusty (the cat) will not be pleased. He likes to sit on my lap whenever we watch a DVD or video.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|