Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Poor Forgotten Mount St. Helens


Mt.St.Helens.jpg
Originally uploaded by Rozanne.
Mount St. Helens is still chugging away, in case you didn't know. B and I were lucky enough to see a spectacular arcing plume of steam billowing out of it Sunday afternoon. This photo is a screen capture from the Johnston Ridge VolcanoCam. The inset photo was taken in our neighborhood by B on Sunday afternoon. Please click for a larger view.

Is Mount St. Helens officially old news (that won't sell)? I'm not aware of any coverage of the ongoing steam eructations of Mount St. Helens. I do realize that there is a war and a humanitarian crisis of gigantic proportions going on, but you'd think that local news teams might take a look out the window from time to time and maybe--just maybe--get an idea for a quick, general-interest filler story. But no, that would require actually going out and doing some reporting instead of just ripping something off of the wire service.

I just checked KATU's Web site, and they last reported on Mount St. Helens on December 2, noting that it had officially become Washington's top polluter. The story came straight from the AP, and they didn't even bother to get a decent photo. Feeble! Sometimes I feel a bit bad citizenish for not watching local TV news, but, gosh, am I missing anything? Perusing the KATU Web site, I noticed that fear-mongering stories about bank robberies and missing persons get top billing--just what I'd expect based on the few times I did tune in to local news broadcasts. I'll continue to stick with NPR and other "alternative" sources--no film at 11:00, but way more principled and in-depth reporting.

If you're in northwest Oregon or southwest Washington, check out Mount St. Helens in the next day or two (while we've got this cold, clear weather). If you're elsewhere, check out the Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam--make sure you visit during daylight hours!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Local news is worthless. The only time I watch it is when I am OUT of town - then it is mildly entertaining. I do check out our local news websites, though - just to get the "quick and dirty" on what's going on.

In one of my knitting classes last year, a gal from one of our local news affiliates attended. She was very sarcastic herself about the local news - that should tell you something right there! Now, whenever I am flipping channels and I happen to see her on the local news, I can't help but snigger.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Cagey,
Yeah, I guess everyone knows that local broadcasts are worthless. It's too bad they cater to the lowest common denominator.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Julie,

I do like KBOO. Unfortunately, I never seem to be near a radio during their newscasts. I should make more of an effort.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|