Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Rules Are Made to Be Broken

Rules I've Made for Myself
1. Do not ever leave the house wearing sweatpants. According to George Costanza, doing so issues the message to all who might see you that you’ve given up.

2. Muster some kind of a blog entry four to five times a week.

3. Do not blog until the day’s work is done, especially if you have a deadline the next morning.

Excuses, Qualifications, and Rationalizations
1. It would have taken precious moments of time to change into jeans, and I was only walking two blocks to get a giant (and sorely needed) latte. It's not like I showed up at the Starlight Room wearing paint-spattered sweats. Besides, who was going to see me? As it happens, a total of five people saw me: the barista, two customers, and two droopy-drawered teenagers I passed on the sidewalk--the boy had his fingers wrapped around the heel of a stiletto and the girl was carrying the other one. She was barefoot. It’s 55 degrees F. I don’t think they passed judgment on me.

2. Hang on! I haven’t actually broken this rule yet. Plus, the entry I wrote on Monday was of record length (17.5 inches) and should count as two entries, if not three.

3. I’m blogging now (instead of working) to increase the chances that I won’t break Rule #2. (This makes sense to my own hidebound mind.) Also, I’m thinking of adopting a strike-while-the-iron-is-hot approach to blogging, i.e., blog when the impulse hits, rather than at the end of the day when I’m knackered from working. As for the part about the deadline--I work better under pressure. And now that I’ve got this mondo latte, I should be able to rip right through it at warp speed, right?

5 Comments:

Blogger Queen on the run said...

I ALWAYS wear sweats out of the house! My bad! and blogging is something I always do whenever the mood strikes me,if I am away from my computer I jot down little notes to remind myself of what I was thinking otherwise I forget and I am sure I have lost some great entries that way.I like to make folks laugh but I also like to vent..ty for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!!!!!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

What if one's sweatpants are made of velour? Didn't George Costanza once have something to say about swaddling oneself in velvet?

7:39 AM  
Blogger Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Jamie, you just referred to one of my all-time favorite Seinfeld quotes - the one in the episode "The Labelmaker" where George says to Jerry "I would drape myself in velvet if it were socially acceptable".


Rozanne,I have a goal of posting 3-4 times weekly which I think is reasonable. All I ask of my fellow bloggers is if you are going to quit or go away for awhile - tell us! Then we are not left wondering what happened. re: sweats - I think it helps if you have an abbreviated moniker, some bling to swing and a bootie to match. Worked for JLo!

The Queen, I take frequent notes, also. In fact, having a notebook, period, has come in pretty handy for other things as well - like when I am reading a book for one of my many bookclubs.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jillyvanilli said...

I've been trying to leave a comment on your previous post, but it won't let me. Waaa!

You are such a darling.

I hereby announce you an honourary Brit. Rule Britannia!

Oh and WI stands for Women's Institute and they don't generally make a habit of posing in the noddy, but I'm sure my mum would be up for that kind of thing!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Queen,

There's a constant stream of babble running through my head, too, especially after I've gone to bed. I always think to myself before nodding off that I should put these thoughts into the next day's blog entry. The next morning--pffft--I can't remember a thing! I think we need to scatter notebooks all about the house and carry one on our person at all times.

Jamie,

Velour sweatpants--classy--they may be worn to the Starlight Room, KFC, or the White House.

Cagey and Jamie,

I've not seen the "George Draped in Velvet" episode. We do all know, of course, that the entire Seinfeld oeuvre is out on DVD. Dangerous!

And, yeah, JLo, Britney Spears, and similar are constantly parading about in sweats (possibly velour), but I hesitate to align myself with them or have anyone think I might be trying to emulate them.

Jilly,

Thanks for going the extra mile to inform me of my British citizenship. I am quite chuffed! Your comment did belatedly come through on the previous post. Check the previous post. I hope you can see your comment and my response. There was definitely something wrong with the Blogger commenting system. I hope the problem is sorted out now. Very annoying and frustrating, I know!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|