Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Karacroakie


Dave Hill of Slade
Originally uploaded by Rozanne.
Last night during Sivasana in my yoga class—the time during which one is supposed to be lying there like a corpse with one’s mind totally blank—my mind was mulling over exactly what I am going to do come Saturday night when I will be expected to sing a song (or perhaps two or three) at a friend’s birthday party, which is being held in a karaoke bar.

Stressful!

I've made my feelings about karaoke clear before. Apart from the fact that I don't get karaoke, I don’t sing (maybe that's one reason I don't get it). Not in the shower, not in the car, not while I’m Cometing out the tub. I’m pretty sure the last time I sang in public was in 8th-grade chorus class. And even then it was with 20 other kids.

But if I don’t sing at this karaoke party, I’m going to look like a spoilsport and really disappoint my friend. She's informed me that she’s expecting some classic rock from me.

So I was thinking, what songs do I know the words to? Well, there’s “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme” and “Suicide Is Painless" (AKA the theme song from M*A*S*H)--those, believe it or not, are what we sang in 8th-grade chorus.

Yeah, I know that in karaoke the lyrics are up on a screen for you, but I’d feel a lot more comfortable singing something I had memorized in its entirety. And I seriously don’t know if there are any songs that fit that requirement. But the best I could probably manage would be to recite random snatches from various tunes I've heard here and there througout my lifetime. For example:

And you’ll have to eat your lunch all by yourself.
Click bang, what a hang, your daddy just shot poor me.
From the Queen of England to the hounds of hell.
Girlfriend in a coma, I know, I know, it’s serious.
Here come the big black Mariah, here come the big black Ford.
Here I am, rotch you like a hurrycan.
I’ll live a lush life in some small dive. And there I’ll be, while I rot with the rest of those whose lives are lonely too.
I’m a king bee!
Just leave the ring on the rails for the wheels to nullify.
Little girl from Cherry Lane, how did you get so bold ? How did you know that golden rule?
Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?

Problem #1: I don’t know any songs all the way through except those two songs from 8th grade. No way could I hack the two-part harmony in "Parsley, Sage...." that. Plus, it's a round or something. And I doubt they would have “Suicide Is Painless” available. Plus, not really the sort of thing you want to belt out at someone’s birthday party.

Problem #2: I have about a three-note range. One of those songs that the singer just talks through would be perfect for me. Anyone know any songs like that? I can’t think of any at the moment except for the Rex Harrison songs in My Fair Lady. Again I doubt the karaoke place would have those.

Problem #3: I suffer from stage fright—even when I know what I’m doing. Since I don’t know what I’m doing, I’m likely to really choke. I can see myself listening to the opening bars of whatever I end up, seeing the lyrics flash on the screen, and either freezing up or croaking out the lyrics off key.

I know some people might suggest that I pound back 100 Mai Tais before taking the stage, but that would mean that I’d be in no condition to go hiking the next day and that is a sacrifice I’m not willing to make.

Look where we hiked last weekend!

Pond on McNeil Point Trail

Being able to hike to picture-postcard wilderness areas like this is the reason I live here, and the hiking season for alpine hikes is short so I’m not going to do any self-sabotage.

Still, I’m not looking forward to humiliation on the karaoke stage. I guess I just shouldn’t care. Just go up there and get it over with. The bar will probably be chock-a-block with people chain-smoking and waiting their own turn in the spotlight. They probably won’t even notice my dismal performance.

Whatever. Not worth spending any more time on. I should probably be combing through my CDs and iTunes looking for songs that I might possibly be able to sing and practicing them. Jeez!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|